Sunday, August 26, 2012

What is it like in a Mormon church?



People often think that odd and strange things go on in our church meetings. I believe this adds confusion about what we believe.

To understand a book one needs to read it. A great way to start reading the Mormon church is to attend a meeting.

There are many churches all over the world. Some of them make people feel welcome and others don't. I often see in front of some churches signs inviting and welcoming people to come in. While there aren't such signs in front of Latter-Day Saint chapels, everyone is welcome to attend.

When I was serving as a missionary in Portugal I made it a point to visit the churches in the areas I served. I had many different experiences while visiting other churches. In some churches I was asked to leave and not return but in contrast a few times I was asked to give a sermon.

People sometimes mistakenly think that they cannot attend our meetings freely and openly. This may be because Temples are open only to members of the Church who are fully engaged in their faith. Chapels are not the same as Temples. Everyone can come in!

So I say, "Come on in, you are most welcome!"

With the Mormon church getting more attention lately, the LDS newsroom published the following article about our church meetings. Have a read:

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/what-to-expect-at-church-services

 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

In posting comments I welcome your opinions and added insights. However, inappropriate comments are not. I reserve the right to remove any comment I wish.

 
;